Sunday, September 6, 2009

Coppell Residents speak out against tax increase - Coppell Gazette, 9/6/09

Direct link via Coppell Gazette

Coppell Residents speak out against tax increase

Published: Sunday, September 6, 2009 12:19 PM CDT
More than 70 Coppell residents spoke out against the proposed 2009-2010 municipal budget and the 2009-2010 proposed tax rate of .69146 at the regular meeting of the Coppell city council Aug. 25.
The meeting ran three hours and 51 minutes with residents speaking for more than two hours. No one spoke in favor of either item during the public hearing.

Dave Capps, a 23-year resident and businessman was concerned that the tax rate is too high. He said he paid more than $50,000 in taxes last year for his home and business.

“I am sure there are plenty of items in the budget that the city of Coppell is working very diligently to make cuts on during this recession. If not there should be,” Capps said.

Former Coppell mayor Mark Wolfe said he has supported every bond election for the city and school district since he moved to Coppell.

“For the first time in 30 years as a resident of this community I find myself opposed to my local government,” Wolfe said.

Senior citizens said they are on a budget and even a small tax increase would be a burden. Others said it was not the time for a tax increase.

After more than two hours the hearings were closed and council discussed what they had heard from the residents.

Billy Faught, Place 5, thanked the residents for coming out and expressing their feelings.

“There have been several comments made tonight that I agree with,” Faught said. “I feel it is a time to make some tough decisions.”

Faught ended by saying the council is listening, and “this is not a done deal.”

“Coppell has always been a paid-as-we-go city,” said Bob Mahalik, councilman Place 2. “We can’t avoid taxes completely. It is going to happen; it’s just how much and when.” He added that the council will compromise.

Marsha Tunnell, Place 4, said the council has been meeting on the budget for most of the year.

“The taxes are going to be raised, they have to be raised,” Tunnell said. “I don’t know how much, but they will be raised, but I don’t when.”

She added that the timing for a tax increase isn’t good.

“We (the council) agreed that no matter what path we take we will have to raise taxes,” said Tim Brancheau, councilman Place 1. “I hope that we have the political will as a group to follow through with our agreement.”

Mayor Pro Tem Karen Hunt said she has not made up her mind about what should be done about the tax rate increase.

“I do appreciate all the information I have gotten from citizens, and all the additional perspectives that I’ve heard,” Hunt said. “Because it does help me navigate through this decision.”

She said she has “flip-flopped” back and forth on how she feels about the tax rate.

“Have I made up my mind (on the tax rate)? I am not sure.” Hunt said. “There won’t be (any) new tax; it’s when will there be a tax, because we need it.”

Brianna Hinajosa-Flores, Place 3, appreciated the input from the residents.

“I have read your emails and I have heard your comments I hear you loud and clear,” Hinajosa-Flores said. “I have wrestled with it and it is a difficult decision.”

Hinajosa-Flores added that no one wants higher taxes.

Marvin Franklin, Place 6, said there was not a lot of communication regarding the tax increase.

“Taxes are an issue that affects everyone, whether you are rich, poor, or middle income, and it deserved all the discussion it’s getting,” Franklin said.

Franklin added that the council needs to be creative when it comes to the budget and tax rate.

“We do not need a tax increase this year to pay all our bills for the longer term and to have a healthy fund balance,” Franklin said. “That is where I stand and I am firm in that.”

He added that the council is there to serve and protect the residents of Coppell.

“We still are going to have to pay this North Lake debt.” Franklin said.

No comments:

Post a Comment