Saturday, August 15, 2009

From the Hearts, Minds and Mouth's of Coppell Residents

Citizen's of Coppell are speaking up to City Council's decision to pursue a Property Tax Increase.

There are hundreds of people that have filled out the online petition to tell City Council, NO NEW TAXES. Below are just a few of words from our citizens that have been sent to City Council. Each and every one of the petitions are being sent to citycouncil@ci.coppell.tx.us.

Please fill out the petition here if you haven't yet and also contact your elected City Council members.

Also, please spread the word to attend the City Council Public Hearing on Property Tax Increase on Tuesday, 8/25 at 730p.

Petition comments (no spelling or any changes made):

Times right now are very hard. I know my personal family has gone from two

to one income and have heard the same from others. Adding additional

expense to families that are already having to watch their budgets closely

is actually unbelievable. Please remember that you where voted in to

represent the wished of the citizens of Coppell. Do you really feel your

vote was in line with the desires of the citizens. Your decision on this

will not go unnoticed or be forgotten. Please do the right thing and

reconsider.


I'm a single mom who lives in Coppell. There is a strong possibility I will

lose my job soon due to cut backs and outsourcing overseas. I try to shop

locally to help Coppell business. But, if my taxes go up and the local

business taxes go up, I have no choice to find another home to make ends

meet financially for me and my son. Please don't raise my taxes. I'm

already struggling.


The change in the US economy requires all people to change. Governments and

Cities are part of this change. It is no longer business as usual. There

should be no rate increases in Coppell. Rather there should be a rate

decrease. The rates were increased to subsidize the growth in Coppell and

the needed capital improvements. This is no longer the situation.

Prudence on the part of the City Council and Management is needed this year.


I am appalled at the passage of consideration of an EVEN HIGHER tax rate

than originally planned. City Council members who voted yes are both

arrogant and out of touch with reality. If they think they are doing their

job representing us they are very wrong.


I guess now we need to start demonstrating at City Hall with posters stating

our overwhelming position. Sign me up- I'll be there.


This is not a year to increase taxes on the citizens of Coppell. I can not

speak to the situations of others, only mine. I'm 50 years old and on a

fixed income. My finances are already stretched to the limit because of

increased prices of just about everything. Take a walk through Tom Thumb or

open your electric bill. I have a child that will graduate high school this

year, with college right around the corner. If you would, please tell me

what I do you suggest I should give up to pay for a tax increase that is not

really needed. If you would like, I could come to city hall and give a

short class on living with a fixed income. It's not that difficult to keep

the things that are really important, fire, cops, libraries, streets, etc.,

and cut the fat like watering the streets somewhere every day, softball

field light on when there is nobody there. You get the idea. I and many

other here have learned some hard lessons about spending. Don't you think

it's time the city takes the lead concerning responsable spending?

Pardon the misspellings. I was an engineer, not an english major.


We don't need no stinkin' taxes. Come on, get real! We have a healthy

balance sheet, money in the bank that can cover any debts owed and a mayor

that is against this too. NO MORE TAXES!


My husband and I are long time residents of Coppell - since 1983. We bought

our first and only house here. We raised our son and put him through the

good Coppell school system. I'm against a tax raise. This is a tough year

for Americans. Let's find another way to solve problems and quite relying

on taxes, taxes and more taxes. When individuals have money problems, they

create a budget with less spending to get through the tough times. I'd like

to see our elected leaders do the same. I'd really like to see our elected

leaders listen to the concerns of the people they are supposed to represent.


The City of Coppell should take the same action as all of us do when things

get tight and that is stop spending! No, do not raise taxes. I'll help you

find things you can remove from the budget.


As a senior citizen living on a fixed income, It will be difficult to pay

more taxes. Coppell is already the hightest tax rate of several cities.



Follow our Twitter account at www.twitter.com/concerncoppell


Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=114536321191&ref=ts



No comments:

Post a Comment