Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Last Night's City Council Meeting/Public Hearing - Part 2

READ PART 1 HERE

The Public Hearings were now closed and it was time to hear from our elected officials.

I wish I had a transcript of this discussion, but I just don't have the time to go back and listen to the live feed (anyone interested in taking on that project for me???? nudge nudge!!).

What I was able to do was use the Twitter account to provide live feedback. If you don't know about Twitter, I highly recommend you sign up, get a free account and follow @concerncoppell. If that is too much to do, then just save the website bookmark and read frequently.

Billy Faught was the first to speak and he thanked everyone for taking time out of their day and evening to join in this discussion. The citizen's didn't seem to care for his comment Faught: I'm not sure where to go from here. This was a forum for the citizens to discuss. I agree w many of you that this is a hard time
Mayor Peters then closed down the meeting with these comments:



Some final thoughts I have about last night probably could be summed up by a short conversation I had with a local Coppell newspaper Citizens Advocate's Editor, Jean Murph.

She was sitting next to me at the back of the room and asked me something like, was I happy with Monday night's budget workshop meeting?

My response was something like, 'well, I wouldn't say I was happy about it because all of City Council didn't flush out the final issues that taxes didn't need to be raised next year.'

Then, and this is where it became clear to me why I've been passionate about getting involved with our Municipal government....Ms. Murph asked me why I didn't feel like this issue had been discussed properly, because tonight was the first Public Hearing to do just that.

Reflecting on this question last night and this morning, it hit me that if the citizen's of Coppell hadn't been informed, hadn't had good discussion before Tuesday night's meeting, there was a good chance their voices could not have been heard.

Yes, the City of Coppell does post all of the public meetings on their website the way they need to, but information travels in ways that isn't just one way and as busy as most people are with school starting, there is only so much you can keep up with about every detail.

In fact, that is why we elect City Council members to do this work for us. To keep up with the issues, to understand all the details and represent us.

So my thoughts have come down to a few questions and statements:

If last night was the first Public Hearing...the first night that City Council could hear from the people that elected them, why did Council Member Brancheau say there was an agreement after Monday night's special budget workshop meeting with at least 4 City Council members to raise taxes?

Was the decision to raise taxes going to be made without any public input from the Public Hearings?

Did last night's meeting matter to the majority of our City Council?

What if only a few citizen's were at last night's meeting and didn't know about this until after it was voted and passed on September 8th?

Thank you Marvin Franklin and Mayor Peters for your thought process about next year's taxes.

If it isn't necessary to raise them next year, why would they be raised?

It seems that our Councilmember's need to realize and appreciate public opinion. This type of debate is healthy and necessary to keep the interests of our City at the forefront.

If any City Council members were aggravated or irritated about the amount of people in the room or the applause for speakers opposing a tax rate increase or the freedom to wear a T-Shirt that say's "No New Taxes", then I would ask those City Council members why chose to be elected and why they choose to serve our city and our citizens.

This is one man's opinion, but after speaking and hearing from so many of you, I know I am not alone.

The next Public Hearing is September 1st at 6p. Be there.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update. I had to leave early last evening. As with the Manara meetings, I felt like they were not listening - that the minds were already made and this is just a process they have to do. I have never been very political, but the meetings I have attended lately make me furious. I leave wondering if there was ever a democracy or has it just recently died. Sept. 1st is written in on my calendar. I just want to know my wishes are listened to and considered before making decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read the memorandum from Cindy Warner, President of the CISD Board of Trustees. Here is a link: http://www.coppellisd.com/15161081744620733/blank/browse.asp?a=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&c=61204

    CISD has been "tightening their belt" and managing their budget under some pretty tough constraints. Ms. Warner still manages to eloquently communicate the state of the district and positively encourage community involvement through public forums. Maybe the council could take note and marinate on communication style.

    ReplyDelete